Saturday 10 August 2019

Recently I visited a wool mill and was struck by the creative inventions of their machinery. They buy different qualities of wool from Western farmers and they process it in their little factory. We watched sheepskin transforming into yarn and fleece blankets. They also had a little shop where they sold yarns and knitted products. Here is where I picked up a kit to make my own dryer balls. I had to do some googling first but discovered that they are quite easy to make. 
This is the process of needle felting: you poke a sharp needle continually into a ball of wool, until you reach the right firmness. As usual, while poking the wool with a sharp needle, my mind turned to a different plane and I started to wonder about poking out all my bad feelings and frustration. It was actually quite therapeutic and as I kept poking, my mind turned from frustration to prayer for those who are hurting and I thought "hmm, there is something going on here".

- Are there things in your life that you need to "poke", maybe frustrations in your own life or frustration with our world?

The second step in the felting process is adding colour and shapes to the ball and from furious poking you turn to precision and slow poking. 

- What things in my life need attention and maybe some precision poking?

The last step is putting the ball in the dryer, with a load of laundry.

- Looking at your life with "clean" eyes what new things are emerging? How can you turn the frustration into something useful and beautiful?




No comments:

Post a Comment