Thursday 5 March 2020

Scraps

We all know the saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". From a quilter's perspective it goes like "When life gives you scraps, make a quilt".
We all get dealt different pieces of scraps at one point or another, but what do you do with them? 
As quilters we often exchange ready-made blocks  or pieces of fabric that we have no use for, but for others are just the thing they need. 
I was reminded of that today, looking through my memories. A friend had some star blocks that perfectly fit with a piece of fabric I had in my stash and I was able to make a little runner with it.

No photo description available.

I also read a book about the underground rail-road. The women involved created a quilt with messages about safe passages and people. All they had was scraps of fabric and they saved hundreds of lives.
When I read today's prayer I didn't really know how to process it:

"May I learn to make good out of what I'm given. 
Rather than only make sense of it"
McRoberts & Erickson

Looking at today's memories and prayer made me realize that this happens to me all the time and it fits perfectly with the season of Lent. 

1 Cor.13:2 - If I can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, 
but have not love, I am nothing.

We can try to make sense of what happens to us and around us, or we can make something out of our experiences and use them to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment